Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Taking a chance...

So recently, a friend of mine suggested that I create a blog to help spread recipes, tips and funny stories from my kitchen-thanks Jenny!I wasn't sure just how many people would even be interested in reading this blog but decided to give it a shot anyway. I spent years in culinary school and love to cook but don't have much of an outlet to share my talent. My two year old could care less that I can make a 5 course meal in a snap..his favorite dish consists of one thing: mac n cheese.Which is funny because neither myself or my husband are picky eaters and have tried to expose our son to every type of food. He just refuses to eat most of it! I have come up with lots of ways to sneak veggies into his food and he has no clue! I am excited about sharing my favorite recipes as well as getting ideas from my friends.


I am 8 1/2 months prego and I am trying to pack out deep freezer with some yummy meals to pull out once our little girl arrives. So this recipe is one that I have recently made and it freezes really well. It a twist on traditional Sheppard's pie and while having a few steps is pretty easy to make. The bottom layer is mashed potatoes, the middle layer is the meat/veggies and it is topped with a yummy biscuit layer-so yummy! Even better you can cut the fat out in a few different ways-substitute ground chuck with ground turkey or ground sirloin, make mashed potatoes with chicken stock and reduce the amount of milk/butter you add to them, etc. You can also use any veggies you want in the dish-use leftover veggies from the night before. You can get as creative with this dish as you want so ask me any questions if you want to know if something will work in it or not. I peel and get my potatoes boiling before I start my meat mixture, but do whatever works for you.


Sheppard's Pie:


For the meat layer:

1 pound of ground chuck

1 onion, chopped

1 tsp minced garlic

8 oz sliced mushrooms

8 oz tomato sauce

8 oz of beef gravy (I buy a jarred version)

2 cans mixed veggies (without potatoes) drained, or the equivalent in frozen mixed veggies-prepared

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce


Brown beef in a large skillet with onion, garlic and fresh mushrooms high heat. Once cooked through, drain meat mixture and return to the skillet. Add tomato sauce, gravy, drained veggies salt, pepper, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Set filling aside as you prepare mashed potatoes.



Peel and slice 2.5 pounds of potatoes. Add to large sauce pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender-about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, and add back to sauce pot. With hand held electric mixer or hand help masher mash until only a few lumps remain. Add 1 cup low fat sour cream, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/2 cup milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13X9 inch casserole dish with non stick cooking spray. Add potatoes to create bottom layer, top with meat/veggie mixture.


At this point you can freeze ,refrigerate this dish or finish making it for dinner that night. If freezing wrap with plastic wrap and then with foil. freeze for up to two months. Let thaw on counter and in refrigerator overnight. If refrigerating to finish making that night or the next day just cover with plastic wrap and pull it out when your ready to top it with biscuit mixture.


When ready to finish:

Take 2 cups Bisquick and mix with 1 cup of milk. Pour mixture over top of meat. Melt 4 tbsp butter and drizzle over the top. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until top is golden brown. I always place my casserole dish on a cookie sheet so if any bubbles over it won't make a mess!


This is a super comforting meal that although has a few steps is really easy to make. I hope you enjoy it!


Kelly


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kelly! I am so excited you are doing this. The hardest part to cooking is coming up with ideas on what to cook! I am sure it is going to be YUMMY! Look forward to many more great recipes by Kelly!!!

    ReplyDelete