Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quick and easy soups..

I rarely use recipes unless I am baking so when I post recipes I am just pulling amounts and ingredients from my head. I will suggest to add salt and pepper to taste because that's what I do. I try to be very conscious of the amount of salt I use when cooking but also think that lack of salt in a recipe can ruin the flavor. I use kosher salt in everything I make except when baking. Its not necessary to do this but I think it and sea salt make flavor pop in every recipe. Be sure to taste everything you cook and if its bland add seasoning.

Since yesterdays recipe was a little time consuming I thought I would share two easy soup recipes today. They are hearty soups that are great with a sandwich or a crusty piece of bread. Both of these recipes are easy to cut the fat out of as well, just substitute cream with either half and half or milk. I always freeze half of this soup, just be sure to do it before adding the cream!

Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup

1-store bought whole rotisserie chicken, meat pulled off the bone and shredded(flavor of the chicken doesn't matter since you won't be using the skin) You can also use leftover chicken from another night, you will need about 3 cups.
3-celery stalks finely diced
1-onion-finely diced
8 oz baby Bella mushrooms or white sliced button mushrooms will do
1/2 cup finely dices carrots-or buy the pre shredded variety
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cups cooked white rice-use boil in the bag rice to save time if you want!
2-32 oz containers of chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried or fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1 cup of heavy cream-or use milk to cut the fat

In a large soup pot saute onion, celery, carrot, garlic and mushrooms over high heat with olive oil. Saute until veggies are soft- about 15 minutes. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme. Add the chicken and rice and cook for about 5 more minutes over medium-low heat. Turn heat off and add cream. Taste and season again with both salt and pepper if needed. I usually have to season again, you don't want the soup t0 be bland.

If you want to freeze half of this soup do separate it before you add the cream. Cream does not freeze well and will break down the next time you try and heat it up. Once defrosted and heated up again then you will add the cream.

I always make this soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. I try and jazz them up a bit but using fresh bread from the bakery and using thick sliced sharp cheddar and provolone cheese.


Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
1 large onion, diced
3 stalks of celery diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp sugar-cuts the acidity of the tomatoes
salt and pepper
3 tbsp dried basil
1 cup heavy cream-or make it lighter by using half and half or milk

In large soup pot saute onion, celery and garlic with the olive oil over high heat until onions are translucent-about 15 minutes. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and basil. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and add cream. Taste again to see if you need more salt and pepper.


So these soups are super easy and both freeze really well, just do so before you add the cream or milk product.
This soup is great with garlic bread sticks with cheddar melted over them!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment